The Crow Peak Ascent
Saturday July 25, 2015
* We may change up the course location this year... Standby for more info!
Race Start - 9:00 am
Registration - 8:00 am
BHRC Members and Youth 12-18 $15.00
*Youth 12-18 Free if no schwag
Open Registration $20.00
Race Day Entry:
BHRC Members and Youth 12-18 $20.00
Open Registration $25.00
To register early.....
Print and mail our registration form with entry to arrive by July 22 -
* BHRC is changing to a different online registration source - we'll be posting registration links once the changes is in effect.
Again, RD Chris plotted a course up and down Crow Peak! It's steep, gotta hold up on a section or two to pass and it can be hot, BUT everyone still seems to love it....
The more whining heard, the more gleeful Chris is...
* Recent polling of, well, most everyone... demanded we bring back the race most whined about, and yet, well, "crowed" about!
* Crow Peak Brewing Co. is a great place to stop post race - they always support the race and for those that enjoy a micro-brew, try one of their award winning beers...
"Technically, you have to descend also (once you get up to the top, you really don't have much choice), but the ascent is the hard part. The race is out and back...there is a short spur trail about halfway up that we won't use. Total distance to the top and back down is about 6.4 miles, so a heavy 10K. Roughly 1500 feet of elevation gain on the way up according to the trail brochure but of course, net elevation gain is a big fat zero....all that work for nothin!"
Here are the directions to the trailhead:
-- From I-90, take Exit 8 (McGuigan Rd.) into Spearfish.
-- Turn south onto McGuigan Rd. and follow it to the intersection with Hillsview Rd. (approximately 1.4 miles...you'll see the Heartland Wood Pellets mill just ahead and to the left of the intersection)
-- Turn right (west) onto Hillsview and follow it until the road starts to curve right and up a hill, approximately 1.1 miles. At the bottom of that hill, Higgins Gulch Road (marked by a brown and white street sign) will take off to the left.
--Turn left onto Higgins Gulch Rd. and follow it for about 3.9 miles until you reach the Crow Peak trailhead parking lot, which will be on the right. Just before the trailhead, you'll see a small brown sign with a hiker on it. There will be additional signs up on race day. Keep an eye out for logging trucks on Higgins Gulch Rd.!!
TR mag has included the CPA in the 2013 Trophy Series - another qualifier...
taking place on the awesome trails near Victoria Creek...
* As in "Victoria Secret, B & C Cup's and others...